Wide-eyed and hollow, we enter this world, with no choice but to move forward and emerge from the dark. Reflected onto us is a fragmented landscape, shimmering with moments of hope while simultaneously emitting apprehension. We unknowingly let it shift our appearance. At our core were are unchanged. Our eyes, the windows within, remain ever open, for growth is a difficult process to see.
Also, try muting the above video and watching it re-scored with Julianna Barwick’s Prizewinning.
Few minds are granted passage into other worlds, allowed to look around, feel what the walls are made of, hear the white noise that surrounds. Fewer still are those able to soak in every element, let it settle and bring their travels back home, to reconstruct them and share with all attentive ears their adventurous tales. And, then there are times on such journeys where you may find yourself naked, like Lei Lei did.
With narrow gaps in the cloud cover leading the way, we set off on our monthly mission of sound collection. Our eyes become ensnared in the magnetic reds, weird-soul oranges and obscure yellows in a seemingly endless canopy of greens. On the road back we share tales of glo-fi funk, birthday mixes and thought escalators.
Join us, for journeys are better spent with friends.
Free Music Collection: October 2011
Think or Smile
- Teen Daze – Dream. Sleep. Wake. (Forty Once Clothing Mixtape): beautiful soundtrack for the title suggested activities.
- Underwater Seacreatures – EP: glo-fi funk imagined under the chill waves of the sea.
- Spirit Sisters: select tracks to drift off to.
- Landon Speers & Katie (BRAIDS) – Mother: 12 minutes of magnetic energy charged with meditation.
- Good Sport – And Now We Are Talking EP: drowsy layer-cake of sample pop.
- First Friday @ Pilot Light Mix 9/7/11: assortment of party-fi from Persona La Ave, Walsh and the like.
- Star Slinger – Altered Zones Mix Aug 2011: for heated nights. with an appearance by old school Bone Thugs.
- Monroeville Music Center – Le Progrès EP: zelda tires of his quest, turns to making music.
- KYNAN – Garbage Beach: Rusted underwater space station polluting shoreline with shrapnel secrets of the weird-soul ooze, everyone wide-eyed and high, tie-dye sunbathing, smiling green.
- Sad Souls – Apeiron: Apeiron (ἄπειρον) is a Greek word meaning unlimited, infinite or indefinite. Apeiron is also a light LP of thought escalators and spiraling guitar drone.
- Sugarglider – Nobody: A rare strain of odd pop found in Edmonton water; they traced it back to the Wilson residence, where a guy named René recorded demos in his bedroom under a small, spinning disco ball.
- Swim Ignorant Fire - Last Days: Take your first turn at damaged ambient, bare left up the sonic expressway, take a hard right over the guardrail, then go directly into the fire.
- Gathered Ghosts – Gathered Ghosts: Guitar, autoharp…ocarina based potion from the basement of Craft Spells man Javier Suarez. Oddly enough the sweetest flavor is called “Gasoline”.
- Water Babys – Water Babys: here to create, not ponder.
- Fleeta – Flockerands: chillbeats for your head.
- Body Parts – On Purpose: obscure melodies for your fun times. $
- Flume – Other Peoples Poetry Mixtape: soft beats to glide you and guide you.
- Joe Doddard DFA Mix: Hot Chip’s Joe Doddard made an hour-long mix for DFA’s Radio Mix Series. I appreciate the Brandy-love.
- Speaker Snacks Turns 2!: One of my favorite Colorado-based music blogs turned two, then made a mix for it.
- Stereogum’s Sept Mixtape: Caveman, Family Band and Blouse- some new artists I’ve been into this season. There’s a few more goodies in there too.
- Low Daytrotter Session: One of my favorite bands, Low, recorded a Daytrotter Session and it is beautiful. Moeller describes the band as, “pieces of a night, the remnants of a day that keep you up until all hours.”
- Feist – Metals (stream): I know, I had to. I mean- I’ve gotta keep up the more mainstream position that I hold in this collection of obscure musical finds, right? Plus, I do love Feist shamelessly, and will take every opportunity to spread the love. Enjoy!
- FWBA – 25th Birthday Mix: To celebrate my 25th birthday, I put together a little mix of some new artists I’ve been into this season.
- Restless Soul Mixtape Series Vol. 6: My friend Billy plays in a hardcore band from Toronto but has an impeccable taste in music. He puts together mixes on his tumblr that feature some of my favorite artists.
Support music you love. See shows, buy physical releases, show love.
Note: Due to bandcamp’s terms of service artists are required to charge a minimal price after a certain number of free downloads. If that’s the case after our posting you can always stream it and if it moves you, support them with a purchase.
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2011