For lovers of the annual turning of the leaves, for those who revel in the crisp evening air, this time of year is welcomed with open sweater-clad arms. Heat seekers may not share our sentiment. But with any inevitable change it’s good to look back and pay homage to our warmer memories. PEPEPIANO, one of my favorite sonic space explorers, has been gracious enough to create this (end of) summer mixtape, and with it we bid a fond farewell to the heated sounds of 2011.
Think or Smile Mixtape: (End of) Summer 2011 – created by PEPEPIANO - Tracklist:
- Isao Tomita – Electromagnetic Waves Descend
- ViSIONAiR – TROLLS HAT
- Chrome Sparks – All There Is (Feat. Steffaloo)
- SLEEP ∞ OVER – Romantic Streams (BALAM ACAB)
- Subvader – Make Love on the Moon
- Nicolas Jaar – What My Last Girl Put Me Through
- Salem – Tair
- Purity Ring – Lofticries
- D/R/U/G/S – Love/Lust (Keep Shelly in Athens Remix)
- Ra Cailum – I Know That You’ve Known
- Candyspilling – Epiclesis
- PEPEPIANO – Graphic Adventure
- Terry Riley – In The Summer
For music lovers.
To awaken the fauna and flora from slumber.
Think or Smile Mixtape: Spring 2011 | Tracklisting:
- Javelin: Trembler
- Sean Nicholas Savage: Misery Mountain
- Serge Gainsbourg: Ballade De Melody Nelson
- Kuhrye-oo: Not Feeling The Love (R. Kels ‘Trapped In The Black Lodge’ cover)
- Jay Dee aka J Dilla: Won’t Do
- Dabrye: Hyped-up Plus Tax
- toothe ache.: Skin
- ADULT.: Mouth to Mouth
- Electric Sea Spider: Blackpanther
- Telefon Tel Aviv: Stay Away From Being Maybe
- Atlas Sound: Lanterns
- Javelin: Colorado Trail
- The KLF: Brownsville Turnaround On The Tex-Mex Border
- Nicolas Jaar: Space Is Only Noise If You Can See
- gus gus: Polyesterday
- Matthew Dear: Slowdance (Bear in Heaven Remix)
- Apparant: Hallin From The Edge
- Kinisi: A Celestial Path
- Kid Loco: La Seduzione
- Javelin: Love Gultch
- Ted Lucas: Plain and Sane and Simple Melody
I also created a print to accompany the spring mix art. Available in several sizes at my society6 shop here. Or by clicking the image below.
This one is a little different from my previous mixtapes, departing from the fast paced, blog driven sounds of the summer. It’s a winter mix for your holiday travels, a soundscape of warming bells and tones, full of personal favorites from the depths of my library. This is what gets me through the dead of winter.
Here’s a few recommended uses: driving long distances late Christmas eve, watching snow fall early in the morning, flying home in the dark, alone, with people you love.
Think or Smile Mixtape 0×006 | Tracklisting:
- Ryuichi Sakamoto: Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- QUIET VILLAGE: Utopia
- Uakti: Japura River
- Michael Armstrong: Everything In Its Right Place (Radiohead)
- Triola: Ag Penthouse
- Jan Jelinek: Universal Band Silhouette
- Amiina: Hemipode
- Black Moth Super Rainbow: Runthroughoraroundthepark
- Bonobo: Kiara
- Beautiful Bells: Agreen
- mutual benefit: Piano Experiments In An Abandoned Hospital
- Dead Can Dance: Spirit
- Björk: Come to me
- Pantha du Prince: A Nomads Retreat
- Ryuichi Sakamoto: Father Christmas
Thank you to Dave of stadiums and shrines for opening my ears to Ryuichi Sakamoto, without you this mix would not be. Fair warning, the opening melody will likely be stuck in your head for eternity. It will be in mine.
As the days get a little shorter and the nights a little cooler my daily soundtrack is starting to shift gears. Moving slightly away from synth-drenched beach jams and into the realm of fall sounds.. chill, sample laced, beats with soul. Music for a crisp evening. Starting off we have some brand new material from PEPEPIANO, then quickly move into a small stretch of fuzzed out wobbly tracks from Dawn Golden and Rosy Cross, Teenage Reverb and Old Arc. From there we get a few VHS beats from Stephen Farris, formerly Cosmic Sound, before laying back with sample heavy cuts from The Stuyvesants and Nicolas Jaar. Rounding out the set is a Star Slinger remix, who sonically can do no wrong.
If you dig this mixtape check out my Free Music Collection. Nearly all of tracks are pulled from free legal downloads which I’ve been compiling monthly. There you can find links to the rest of the material from artists on this mix. You can also listen to the most recent mixtape in the Soundcloud player (in the upper right) while you browse. As always feedback is much appreciated. And feel free to share, blog, tweet it or send me any fresh tracks of your own.
Something new this time.. This mix includes markers embedded in the file so you can tell which track is playing when. If you uses iTunes, keep your cover art window open to see the artist and track name as it’s playing. I download piles of mixes and always find it frustrating when you can’t follow along visually, this should alleviate it. If for some reason you don’t want the full version with track makers I’ve included a straight up mp3. The choice is yours.
Think or Smile Mixtape 0×005 | Tracklisting:
- PEPEPIANO: GYM-MYSTIQUE
- DAWN GOLDEN AND ROSY CROSS: BLACKS
- TEENAGE REVERB: WHERE DID THE SUMMER GO? (666)
- OLD ARC: POSTER BOY
- ALL THESE FINGERS: POUNDED YAMFACE
- STEPHEN FARRIS: AFTER A MOMENT
- SMALL BLACK: PHOTOJOURNALIST (STAR SLINGER REMIX)
- LAY BAC: STAY OUT TONIGHT
- NEON CANYON: MONONOKE
- J FUSE: AMOYENSIA
- THE STUYVESANTS: THE FIRE (UNTRUE)
- NICOLAS JAAR: COME N GET IT
- ALPINE: ICYPOLES (STAR SLINGER DREAMIX)
I’d be remiss to not thank smokeDON’Tsmoke, No Modest Bear and Life: Aquatic, among others, for turning me on to some of these bands. Check ‘em out if you want to do some digging of your own. As always, if you’re feeling any of these artists show ‘em some love and go see them live. Enjoy!
Summer’s in full blown hot as hell mode so I thought it was about time for a high humidity mix, something warm and sticky. This summer has been flooded with new tunes, tons of lo-fi drenched in synth, samples and beats so I’ve been in heaven. A few notables for me have been Star Slinger – whose been sampling/spitting out some really nice chillwave hip-hop, Com Truise – whose 80′s movie soundtracks have been massaging my brain with warm bubbles, Ohio’s Pepepiano – whose catchy psych pop tunes have been stuck in my head for the past week, and Cosmic Sound – whose old school synth loops are on repeat in my subconscious. Some of the usual suspects resurface from previous mixes too, like Moodgadget’s Shigeto, Brainfeeder’s Take, Ghostly’s Matthew Dear, and Javelin. They keep putting out fresh shit.. so I gotta show ‘em some love.
If you dig this mixtape check out my Free Music Collection. A lot of tracks are pulled from free legal downloads which I’ve been compiling monthly.
You can also listen to the most recent mixtape in the Soundcloud player (in the upper right) while you browse. As always feedback is much appreciated. And feel free to share, blog, tweet it or send me any fresh tracks of your own.
Think or Smile Mixtape 0×004 | Tracklisting:
- SHIGETO: LONE RANGER
- TAKE: FACE THE FIRING SQUAD
- BLACK MILK: WELCOME (GOTTA GO)
- STAR SLINGER: EXTRA TIME
- MATTHEW DEAR: SOIL TO SEED
- !!!: AM/FM
- BRANDON BIONDO: DAYS OF THUNDER
- JAVELIN: ON IT ON IT
- KISSED HER LITTLE SISTER: COCAINE
- COSMIC SOUND: LITTLE FLOWER
- PERSONA LA AVE: BEACH 2 (GOBBLE GOBBLE’S R. KELLYMAGIC CARPET)
- KEEP SHELLY IN ATHENS: CREMONA MEMORIES
- PEPEPIANO: FIRE HANDS
- COM TRUISE: SLOW PEELS
- EXPERIMENTS WITH MACHINES: OWLS
As always, if you’re feeling any of these artists show ‘em some love and go see them live. Enjoy!
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010