I should have crafted a massive year end list that overwhelmed you with hundreds of my favorites.. but honestly that sounds too daunting for me to even think about. So I’ll present this month’s like any other, approx. 40 links to get you started exploring the free music abyss. On the year end list note, I won’t be completely passing up the opportunity to share the artists that got stuck on repeat. I’ll be contributing to a year’s end project far greater than I could have accomplished myself.. so stay tuned in the coming weeks for that!
If you need new music daily rather than monthly, follow me on twitter @thinkorsmile. I typically post links there as they are discovered. Or you can follow my twitter list of music bloggers who are doing the dirty work of digging these artists up. Happy exploring.
Think or Smile | Free Music Collection: December 2010
I’ll admit, I don’t really like Christmas music. At always the same generic overproduced garbage year after year. Luckily for me (and you), Unholy Rhythms and Cactus Mouth have put an end to the vicious cycle. They got together some of the year’s best artists and asked them to created an exclusive holiday track. The results are too good not to share. Artists involved are: BAnanas Symphony, Unouomedude, Ra Calium, Danniell Radall, Closed Cassette, Megafortress, Craig Cruiser, Dream Band, Ricky Eat Acid, Guerre, Holy Spirits, Martha! Mother, SNOWMINE and Mutual Benefit.
- ATLAS SOUND: BEDROOM DATABANK VOL. 1 | VOL. 2 | VOL. 3 | VOL. 4 – massive collection of recently recorded home demos and sonic explorations.
- Painted Palms – Canopy EP – lush experimental pop thats both earthy and spacey at the same time.
- Wonder Bear – Azul EP – electronic, melodic pop from 16 year olds. but that makes no difference.
- Wanda and Wonder – epep – popped out tropics in the Of Montreal vein.
- A.P. WITOMSKI – Canionical single – indie pop. he has a lot of free offerings here.. do a little exploring.
- Shells – Lunar Park EP – chill post rock jazzy beats.
- Black Coffee & Cherry Pie – The high mood swing | The slow mood swing – chill, crisp, pop-rock.
- Introductions and Salutations (a Patrick Porter mix tape) – bedroom folk pop to space out to.
- GORILLA VS. BEAR – november 2010 mix – jj, korallreven, the samps make for a nice soundtrack to the workday.
- WOOM – MUU’S WAY REMIXED – remixes from Deerhoof, Xiu Xiu, Japanther and others.
- Crash Symbols – Dope Mountain Fuck – first mix from new cassette label Crash Symbols feat. exclusive tracks from Closed Cassette, Sport, Monster Rally + tons of others.
- Sutja Gutierrez – The Way I Feel – so easy and a little bit sad.
- Jaded Hipster Choir – Kodama E.P. – samples building, layering until you’ve lost your way.
- Neon Indian x Com Truise – Sleep Paralysist – chillwave remixed 80s synthpop style.
- Small Black mixtape for gorilla vs. bear – nostalgia-inducing selection from Small Black.
- Coyote Clean Up – EICV7″ No. 2 – chillwave, man, chillwave.
- NO MODEST BEAR – October 2010 mix – little late on this one, but it’s a good mix of the falls synthpop.
- Com Truise – Komputer Cast Vol. 4 – another delicious synth-laden podcast.
- Com Truise – GhostlyCaast #41 – com truise.. ghostly edition.
- Shigeto – Ghostlycast #40 – a barrage of beat & hip-hop head-nodders.
- Stones Throw Podcast 63: Dimlite – Lit Paper Hats Forever – Frank Zappa? Sonic Youth? TV on the Radio? it works.
- Myk Dyaleks – Make’em Yell(ow) – hip-hop full of soul.
- Emay – Sounds Like – slowed hip-hop from Canadian producer/mc Emay. lovin this sound lately.
- Low Limit mix for Brainfeeder – beats ya’ll.
- Grappapproved Sampler No.1 – 26 tracks of experimental beats. technically free but show some love and buy them a beer for all the work done compiling this.
- Matthewdavid – XLR8R podcast – sound collage full of beats, distorted R&B, field recording and cassette loops.
- ISO50 presents Dry Waves – comp of latest in experimental sounds. Shigeto, Com Truise, Mux Mool all provide fresh tunes.
- Darkstar – FACT Mix 200 – slow and steady, feat. Matthew Dear, Radiohead, Twin Shadow, New Order…
- Body Language Influences Series – 3 solid mixes of SOUL, DISCO, and close to my heart, DETROIT.
- GIRL TALK – ALL DAY – nothing unexpected but still worth a listen if you like hiphop mashed together with classic rock at a feverish pace.
- Polysick/SFVacid Split EP – experimenting with the 80s and maybe acid.
- Michna & Dust La Rock – Mix the Orb – mixtape tribute the the Orb. sonic journey through ambient soundscapes and electronics.
- The Social Network Soundtrack – Five Track Sampler - soundscapes from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
- Low Light Mixes – far from home – picture yourself floating in space.
- Emily Reo – Minha Gatinha – drifting between the lucid and hazy.
- Clark Warner – GhostlyCast #29: The Warm Up – last year at this time I was getting ready for my wedding.. this was the soundtrack.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010