Again it is time to bring our collection of specimens in from the cold, and collectively generate enough heat for them to bloom and cross-pollinate.
If you are a regular to this garden you’ll notice a plot missing. Nada, of Friends With Both Arms, has found herself with a bounty of new opportunity that needs her love and attention. Her presence here will be missed but I know she has nothing but good things on the horizon. Follow her progress or say hello @fwba.
Free Music Collection: February 2012
- RxRy – DLTRA: midi generated waves & telepathic filter.
- Bukit Timah – Bukit Timah: collage of lo-fi loops, drum carnage, and found sounds.
- Brainfeeder – Sampler 2012: beats for the price of an email.
- thirtycenturyman – 3CM: 15yr old experiments/succeeds with hip hop and r&b samples. another flashlight tag find.
- Bon Accord – Unknowing EP: melancholic electronic seduction.
- Vyxor – Nocturne Feveron: intercepted R&B transmissions from Saturn.
- Lay Bac – Shortcuts: Deep cuts, and dancy vibes will cut you right to the core.
- PORTALS Mixtape #1: Full of so many good jams you’ll wonder if good music super novas really do exist.
- Beat Culture – Tokyo Dreamer: If beats could be friends, then this album would be full of some of your best. Oh an did I mention there’s enough Beyoncé samples to make you want to put a ring on it.
- Flights – Anywhere But Where I Am: Sounds so sweet for the winter months. These folk introspections are meant for quiet nights and thoughtful mornings.
- Magical Mistakes – Special Friends EP: Birthed in a small village in Japan, and drawn together by the power of the internet, this is some of my favorite electronic sounds around.
- easily suede – Signalling: Drifting in and out of consciousness, these are some experimental sounds that touch the soul.
- Handbook – Nomadic: The prolific producer is back with another album full of some of the sweetest hip-hop inspired beats this side of the internet equivalent of the Mississippi.
- IN INDIA: Almost a year old, this meditative psych-soul set seems to have floated by without reaching nearly enough ears (or minds). Thanks for sharing, Tonje.
- Birkwin Jersey – Old Hands: Graeme Coop’s second release with Absent Fever is another flurry in a very distinct snow globe of electronic.
- Green & Gold: This is the first entry in a monthly No Fear of Pop column curated by Holly Friedlander Liddicoat of Australian blog East To West. Stream and read up on a number of promising artists from downunder, and leave with them all in a zip.
- Coma Cinema – Stoned Alone (remastered): Stoned Alone ages well (it was an S&S favorite of 2010 and remains a very dear and isolated listening experience). Matt Cothran decided to remaster the album “with the intention of preserving the lo fidelity that it was recorded under while making it more vibrant”, so Stoned Alone has now literally gotten better with time.
- Gem Drops Two: 20 forward thinking producers from the west coast beat scene get compiled into “an electric melange of uptempo and downtempo jams, hazy dream melodies, and space station future-flights.” Yes free, but any donations go straight to the American Cancer Society.
- Zebra Katz – Ima Read EP: Ima Read Ima Read Ima Read, in five trance-inducing varieties.
- Software – FADER Mix: Joel Ford and Dan Lopatin showcasing all the progressive sounds their label stands for in one long heady flow. Megafortress, OPN, Airbird, etc…
Support music you love. See shows, buy physical releases, show love.
Note: Due to bandcamp’s terms of service artists are required to charge a minimal price after a certain number of free downloads. If that’s the case after our posting you can always stream it and if it moves you, support them with a purchase.
No comments yet,
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2012