As the sun sets yet again this time taking with it summer’s warmth, we survey our surroundings, soaking up all we can in the fading light. We instinctively set our compass to the land rich with sounds, free for the taking, and meet at our monthly point of intersection to share our findings. Slow disco, wandering psychpop, space jazz, post-elevator music, all gold in our eyes.
We hope you enjoy the bounties.
Free Music Collection: September 2011
Think or Smile
- Heathered Pearls – Hints of Musk (mix for ghostly): that slow disco love sound.
- Thundercat ‘Shenanigans pt.1′ Mixed by Flying Lotus: space-jazz bass monster.
- Legowelt – The Teac Life: raw as fuck autistic Star Trek 1987- Misty Forests- X-FILES,- DETROIT unicorn futurism made on cheap ass digital & analog crap synthesizers recorded in a ragtag bedroom studio on a TEAC VHX cassettedeck in DOLBY C with an unintelligible yet soulfull vivacity.
- Wolf+Lamb & Soul Clap – Greatest Tour Hits Mix: hour and a half of slow, house laced soul. enjoy on your roof with friends.
- Jezus Million – Sway EP: switching to hip-hop experiments after making bedroom bliss as Teenage Reverb in a former life.
- chris△re – a brief history of the future: a collection of warm crackling beats. $
- Les Filles Et Les Garçons – EP “Les Filles Et Les Garçons”: french electropop.
- Kinrisu – Lucent Animal Chimes: experimental Parisian bedroom folk.
- Porcelain Raft – Gone Blind Remix EP: aired out remixes by Memoryhouse, Memory Tapes + others.
- Emay – Mind Altering Dynamics [Instrumentals]: hip-hop pacer.
- Jeremiah Jae – Lunch Special 4: new, old, rare, and completely raw joints for your mental palate.
- WALSH – Don’t Want 2 Fall In Luv: heavy electronics from Nashville beat pro (ft. Persona La Ave). $
- VisionAir – A Vision EP: dublin space funk.
- Korallreven – A Dream Within A Dream: Swedes take on some of their favorite songs with their own inception logic in “a wistful glance over the shoulder as summer fades into our dreams.”
- Lasership Stereo – Soft Season / Meet Local Singles: 2 EPs (one free, one streaming) of steamy, down-pitch jams, to set the *late night* mood.
- It is rain in my face – Wishbone: Matt Jones—introspective melody weaver, strum-beat soundscaper—on everyone’s favorite digital label, Absent Fever.
- Música Pop Desempregada – MPD027: vários – 21 anos de MPD: A 21 song salute to the “unemployed pop music movement” in Portugal assembled by Música Pop Desempregada (who sport an eleven-point, blood-signed manifesto). Grainy, odd, light dreams, heavy dreams, lone desert space cowboys, Enya covers…
- The-Drum: The scattering on this soundcloud is rich with bent ‘n’ broke R&B vocals and that sort of dub-infused trickery that pairs well with headphones.
- Jjango Cleefworth Morriconez – The Poquito Pioneer: A bootgazing concept album (which arrived by mail, wrapped in a map) about a man driving through the desert, finding refuge “among the roadside vendors and immigrant folktales on his way to the home of his youth in the Salton Sea.”
- The Bell Peppers – Cooking With Bell Peppers: 50s era swing from Manchester, delightfully misremembered with more distortion and drugs.
- S&S Guest Mix – Kumon Plaza: Dylan Khotin-Foote’s assignment was simple: pull together anything under the sun. And like the shining student of orbital electronic that he is, he turned in a report entitled Tears of the World At Large Bottled and Sold at Super Markets, documenting 8 choice items (including Balam Acab, Azeda Booth, Kuhrye-oo, and more) on a trip through atmospheric manufacturing.
- Goldrush Music Festival Compliation: an impressive bout of new tracks from all the amazing acts performing at Goldrush!
- Pepepiano – KING: experimental space jams.
- Teen Daze – Daytrotter Session: stripped down Teen Daze as beautiful as the day he was born.
- Abadabad and Stoner Showers – Makeout Beach: split tape for summers end $
- Skeleton Zoo – The Busride EP: post-elevator music? world-wide sourced samples in a beautiful cacophony of sound.
- Evenings – Lately: a sleepy beautiful dream $
- Black Coffee & Stephee Pie – Spin EP: another solid collab.
- Parallax – a mix by smoke don’t smoke: hopefully something to get down to.
Friends With Both Arms
- Pates Tapes // Rhythm & Blues – “It’s In His Kiss”: Everytime I get tired of my itunes, I put on a new mix streaming on PatesTapes- a collection of vinyl-to cassette-to digital mixes that have all sorts of cool genres. My favorite is R&B- and anything Betty Everett (see: “It’s In His Kiss” mix)
- The Dandy Warhols – Daytrotter Session: hey, no one really cares that this was posted on Sept.1st, right? Right?
- Indie Music Filter – Volume 8: My friend Chris runs Indie Music Filter out of Toronto. He puts together the best mixtapes. Check out Vol. 8, it’s a goodie.
- Invisible Children Roadie Mix: Every semester when our volunteers head out on the road, I make them mixes for the road. These are my last mixes, as I’ll be heading back up to Canada. Mixes are split between more melancholy night driving music and upbeat jams.
- Peter Wolf Crier – Garden of Arms: Stream the new PWC record. Record of the year! I’m biased, I know.
- Drums – Portamento: Stream the new album, out Sept 6th.
- We All Want Someone To Shout For’s Best Songs Of 2011: This pretty much covers it for any indie/pop song you might’ve heard about in the past year. I found this list by looking for the new Real Estate track – so good.
- Wild Flag – Wild Flag: stream the new Wild Flag record over at NPR.
- The Balconies Mixtape: Toronto band The Balconies made a mixtape for the music blog – Artist Mixtapes.
- Sound Advice 109 – Alexi Wasser: Alexi Wasser runs imboycrazy.com and made a mix for The World’s Best Ever “Sound Advice” mostly about boys.
Support music you love. See shows, buy physical releases, show love.
Note: Due to bandcamp’s terms of service artists are required to charge a minimal price after a certain number of free downloads. If that’s the case after our posting you can always stream it and if it moves you, support them with a purchase.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2011