As this never-ending flow of free music washes in on an August tide, let’s look to our recruited collectors and see what shells left lasting imprints in their sand—from notorious mashups to lo-fi croon-wave, here’s a variety of findings to soundtrack your final month of summer bliss.
Free Music Collection: August 2011
Think or Smile
- Space Ghost – IT’$ $UMMER MIX: warped tracks of all sorts for your mellow summer eves.
- Space Ghost – Space Ghost EP: swirling space beats.
- Kuhrye-oo – Forty Ounce Mixtape: notoriously mashed & mixed.
- Monster Rally – Crystal Ball: psychedelic surf. $
- Monster Rally – I Paint My Mind DJ Series: some great sunshine psych-pop, soul, tropical and classic hip-hop.
- WAX MONSTERS – Ancosta: Oberlin synthpop. $
- Torkelsen – Torsnes Beats Vol. 1: beat tape out of Oslo. $
- Araabmuzik mixtape: mvp of the mpc. bass up, top down.
- Guerre – Darker My Love: soul for your electronic being.
- Ra Cailum – Bite Marks: zoned out to chilled out.
- Lewis – Summer_in montana: slow simmering sounds.
- Nakagin – elsewhere: beats over textures drawn from ambient soundscapes. $
- ASIP – Traumbient: hypnotic, melodic, deep and atmospheric.
- astrangelyisolatedplace mixes: ambient, electronic jackpot. scores of mixes.
- Chrome Sparks – My <3: Probably the most crucial download you can make. Soulful and infectious beats for life in general. $
- TV Girl – Benny and the Jetts: More upbeat contagious jams you’ll have on repeat all summer.
- Doah – Prime: Lo-fi croon-wave.
- R E A L M A G I C – R E A L M A G I C: Yum.
- My Friend Wallis – On Hawaiian Time: Experimental beauty. $
- Yin Yang : The Golden Age of Hip Hop Revisited: A LYFSTYL mixtape with some serious remixed hip-hop gems.
- Rivka – Rivka: Mildly dark dream-pop, good for spacing to. $
- Pandit – Steady Nerves and a Strong Heart: More genius from Lance Smith. Heartfeltedness at it’s core.
- JRG – You’re With Me: Summer haze.
- Yalls – Yalls: At last a collection of the inner mind of Dan Casey. These will have your feet moving in moments. $
- Wugazi – 13 Chambers: free download of the Wu-Tang + Fugazi mashup. Nice!
- Lollapalooza Mixtape by The KickDrums: I’m preparing for Lolla this year..
- Jessica Lea Mayfield on World Cafe NPR: songs from the saddest girl in the world.
- Release The Sunbird, ‘Come Back To Us’ First Listen NPR: this is my friend Zack. This is his new solo record. It’s something really special.
- Wolf Parade Frontman’s Solo LP: streamin via Spin. First listens: into it.
- Grimes – Daytrotter Session: Amazing session.
- Sonny & the Sunsets AD Session!
- Four Tet and more remix Radiohead: in anticipation of release of 12″ singles of King of Limbs remixes.
- Stereogum Presents… STROKED: A Tribute To Is This It: A tribute to The Strokes ft. Peter Bjorn & John, Real Estate, Owen Pallet and more.
- Summer of Friends With Both Arms Mix for F O R T Y O U N C E C L O T H I N G
- Petrels – All Things In Common: Neoclassical drone inspired by history. If it weren’t so moving and vastly serious, I’d be tempted to dub this Wikipedia-wave.
- Moon Glyph – 2011 Sampler: An impossibly heavy psych sampling from the wonder that is Moon Glyph—a Minneapolis-based cassette and vinyl label with its head way up in the sky.
- Two Bicycles – Window: Cameron Book’s new home opened the window, and ten fresh gusts of that Two Bikes air came swirling in. File under: ambient/guitar/sleeping under a tree.
- Yung Life – Youth’s Hours: Drum-built pop gems of the no-wave variety…caffeinated punk here, 80s teen movie there. $
- Beko + Crash Symbols Mixtape: “A hefty slab of noise and pop” brought to us by Dwight of GOTC/Crash Symbols and Beko Digital Singles Label. Tons of rare species on this thing.
- Rainbo Video – Shadow Relics: Framed around an expedition to Antarctica, Shadow Relics is a minimalistic ride to the brightest of ices. $
Support music you love. See shows, buy physical releases, show love.
Note: Due to bandcamp’s terms of service artists are forced to charge a minimal price after a certain number of free downloads. You can always stream it and if it moves you, support them with a purchase.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2011