Another month has come and gone and my hard drives are now less another 50GB of space. But worth every byte. October was extremely busy for me and I honestly feel like a slacked a little bit in the new music department but thankfully there is an amazing cast of blogs I can scour when I need a fix of new artists. There are a handful of killer albums in this months batch but I’ll leave that for you to discover.
If you need new music daily rather than monthly, follow me on twitter @thinkorsmile. I typically post links there as they are discovered. Or you can follow my twitter list of music bloggers who are doing the dirty work of digging these artists up. Happy exploring.
Think or Smile | Free Music Collection: November 2010
Not ten minutes after I complained on Twitter about a lack of Halloween mixes, unholy rhythms dropped this gem of exclusives on us. It features darker tracks from Pepepiano, Closed Cassette, Ghost Animal and even a track of her own with Young Henry under the guise, eros+massacre. It’s perfect for the dark nights of autumn and I’m totally in love with it. Here’s her rundown of it:
“Abraded Ghosts” is really a celebration of Halloween through the eyes of artists of different genres. I asked 13 wonderful musicians to give me their interpretation of creepy Halloween music and what I received is the most varied, delectable selection. From the sweet imagery of kids trick-or-treating at night, to dark, murky gothic swampfi that drags you to Hades.
Grab unholy rhythms ~ ”Abraded Ghosts” ~ Exclusive Halloween Mix here or click the image above.
- Stephen Farris – Alphabet soup – raw synth pop goodness.
- WASKERLEY WAY – holly – from the man who brought you Cat Music, here’s some more lo-fi dreamy space pop.
- Ariel Pink Special Pingcast – Soundtrack EP – remixed/covered Ariel Pink by Bullion, Waskerly Way, Echo Lake, C Powers + many other gems.
- Heart Music Group – The Tribe – chill hop from Baths, Star Slinger, Coolrunnings, Hard Mix, Wise Blood, Fol Chen.
- Yellow Ostrich – The Mistress – wonderful folk pop. show him some love and toss him a few bucks. or help support the release on vinyl at his kickstarter.
- guards – guards ep – new wave power pop with rock drums.
- Selebrities – Ladies Man Effect – dances between angular synthpop and New Wave atmospherics.
- Paperfangs – ePop006 – warm fuzzy finnish pop.
- Liquid Vega – LV – mysteriously wide open pop. cocteau twins meets goldfrapp perhaps?
- NazcarNation – Dynazty: The Remixes – chill tropic pop remixes from Star Slinger, unouomedude, StewRat.
- Now That’s What I Call Krista and the Whale: Volume 1 – all the cool 90’s jams covered by chill synthpoppers Teenage Reverb, Coma Cinema, unouomedude, Mutual Benefit + more totally rad peps.
- Nueva Forma Listening Pleasure – good podcast for when you need to just chill. beautiful art direction as well.
- Airliner – Self-Destruct Pt. 1 EP – more chill beats from another Com Truise alias. + bonus track.
- Hunting Hat – Vampire Xmas – beautifully lonely tunes.
- Michael Parallax – Mountain – spiritual revival tent music, raw, organic, electric and full of soul.
- sane smith – robots will kill – funked electronic hip-hop. dance party. if it makes you move show some love and buy him a drink.
- Electric Sea Spider – Mohican Beats – glitched out, sample heavy, electric hip-hop.
- Seeing Suge – Breaking Single – delicious dream-hop.
- Emay – all his material to date. emcee/producer who collabs with the likes of Star Slinger, Blackbird Blackbird.
- STAR SLINGER – HANDSOME RADIO – delicious mix of beats.
- Stones Throw Podcast 62: Adventures with Paul White – solid hip-hop set. your head will nod.
- StewRat – Summer – chillwave hip-hop instrumentals.
- Micah Smith and mirF – Kosmos – sample heavy beats dabbling in jazz and eastern sounds.
- Handbook – The Shape of the Universe – chilled abstract beats.
- Qurious – Planet Plant – space noise with a pop sensibility.
- Body Language – Social Studies EP – detroit soul/disco. equal parts funk & sex.
- Low Light Mixes – vox electronix – electronic vocoder gems.. Eno, Air, Boards of Canada.
- matthewdavid – DISK COLLECTION – a sonically dynamic, personal immersion in electro-acoustic experiments.
- Denver Afterdark Compilation – mysterious sounds of the ‘mile high’. Late night listening is encouraged.
- gorilla vs. bear – halloween mixtape 2010 – indie/chill on the creepier side.
- Young Henry – U/N – post punk noise pop.
- KILLED in CARS – Special Halloween Mixtape – dark, foreboding, synth-heavy.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010