October is upon us and, at least in the Midwest, Mother Nature has made her shift to sweater weather.. in my opinion, the best kind. Accordingly, this month’s collection features a few more albums on the darker side to balance out the flood of sun-drenched tunes over the summer, but still includes plenty of beats, electronic and even a few mixes on the jazzy side.
Unfortunately, this month we saw Bandcamp change their terms of service and are now asking artist to pay to give away music, but even though they haven’t been playing very nice there’s still a lot of great music being shared. Some are finding alternate routes of distributing and others are trying to make due with the new system. So I apologize if some of these links (or past month’s) have hit their quota and are no longer free, but you can still have a listen.. and if you dig it, show them some love and help fund their next album.
If you need new music daily rather than monthly, follow me on twitter @thinkorsmile. I typically post links there as they are discovered. Or you can follow my twitter list of music bloggers who are doing the dirty work of digging these artists up. Happy exploring.
Think or Smile | Free Music Collection: October 2010
Featuring collaborations between: Top Girls and Guerre, Teen Daze and Jaded Hipster Choir, Weed and Foxes In Fiction, Closed Cassette and Top Girls, Ghost Animal and Rachel Levy, Ghost Houses, Holy Spirits and Gem Club, Seeing Suge (Star Slinger, Emay, Blackbird Blackbird), Pepepiano and Warm Waves, Gay Boiz (Kumon Plaza and Rachel Levy), and Star Slinger and Pandit.
- WALSH – Smoke Weed About It EP – aka Brandon Biondo drops some post rad electronics.
- Naminé – EP – slow motion lo-fi disco.
- Soft Powers – BAD POP – dreamy fuzz pop.
- Craig Cruiser – Cruising The Night Away – made for cassette fuzzwave jams.
- Hard Mix – the chill world mixtape – nice ride all the way through.
- pears – soft plans – lush samples swirled into tropical lo-fi.
- Olde English Spelling Bee – Greatest Hits “Danse Pop” 7″ – hyperactive and robotic electropop jams.
- My Friend Wallis – When the Blue Turned Yellow EP – pretty airy tropic pop.
- Ra Cailum – “Souvenir” EP – synthpop happiness.
- Waskerley Way – Cat Music – spaced out fuzzy cat concept album. lo-fi goodness.
- PERSONA LA AVE - Brothers was taken – music to sit on the dunes and watch the tide come in.
- Korallreven – A Dream – blissed out mix featuring a few clips from the Baraka soundtrack and a little Weezy.
- WGWB & Friends Volume 3 – rad jams made for cassette.
- Jon Lemmon – Kindling EP – lonely music for androids.
- BIGCOLOUR – Centuries of Summer – lo-fi minimal folk psych.
- WALSH – Lost in NY DJ Mixtape – funky.
- Holy Spirits Mix 10.0 for FWBA – Detective Community – lots of lovely finds to discover from the collection of Holy Spirits.
- Star Slinger – Remixes 2010 – some of the years best dream-hop.
- Space Ghost – P Y R A M I D D R E A M S – beats to space to.
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra – UMO screwed tape #1 – psychedelic hip hop mixtape.
- Ohsaurus – 3 Pounds of Flax (FD005) – electro-hop beat music.
- Bahwee – HEADNODDERS VOL. II – tasty beat tape with a nod to middle eastern vibes.
- Kanye West – GOOD Fridays – free tracks on Fridays feat. Jay-Z, Common and other heavy hitters (guilty pleasure).
- 1320 Records Volume II – sampler of new beats, hip-hop and electronic beats.
- Svetlana Industries – Come On Lets Go – wonky dubstep beats.
- Lukid – Brainfeeder Mix – signature brainfeeder beats + glitch yet pretty chill.
- Ohsaurus – The Energy About Us – dubstep meets electronic hip-hop.
- Slow Hands & Friends – Fabric Exclusive Mix – keep your soul moving.
- Ghostly International – Ghostly Essentials: Rarities Two – unreleased, hard-to-find music from the vaults. not anymore.
- Pro~Ef – So Let’s Take a Trip – jazzy beats mixed up for Monday Jazz.
- Gay Boiz – 429-2649 – this album was written/recorded in about a week’s time on a Samsung cellphone, and an iPhone. experimental telephone pop.
- King of the Rowser! – Best of – spacey electronic.
- earrings – wilderness e.p. – r&b for a club in your dreams.
- Miguel Atwood-Ferguson feat. FLYING LOTUS – Drips/Take Notice – jazz ensemble meets beat junkie and makes beautiful music together.
- Low Light Mixes – footsteps – starts off psychedelic then quickly veers into something funky, something jazzy.
- Dream Boat & Ʌ – “True Love” split – darkwave anyone? bad ass nightmare music.
- Dream Boat – Slow Gems – mix for dark dream from your past. also check out his new full length, Visions.
- Vortex Rikers – Untitled EP – some darker ambient, slow-mo witch house.
- silent farm – memory screen ep – not ambient and not totally chill, but kinda both.
- B. Young – B. Young – slow moving bedroom ambient pop with a few philosophical samples.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010