This month’s Free Music Collection is still slightly skewed toward the lo-fi synth spectrum, but as the days grow shorter more and more fall sounds are surfacing.. tunes to ease the transition into cooler nights. Check out the electronic, eclectic and hip-hop sections to supplement your rooftop party. Or dip in the ambient bin for a chill evening of book reading or star gazing.
If you find 45+ free downloads a bit overwhelming I’d recommend bookmarking this and grabbing and album or two a day. But if you need new music daily follow me on twitter @thinkorsmile. I post links there as they are discovered. Or you can follow my twitter list of music bloggers who are doing the dirty work of digging these artists up. Happy exploring.
If you want to hear how I’ve digested this list check out my latest mixtape, 0×005.. music for a crisp evening.
Think or Smile | Free Music Collection: September 2010
- PEPEPIANO – Babes – synthesized lush space pop.
- Roman Photos – Into the Night EP– post punk disco synthpop. fun and catchy.
- Golden Eye – Golden Eyes Forever – looping waves of synth and noise build into some catchy psych pop.
- Teenage Reverb – Summit Demos – bedroom shoegaze, but the first track is a kicker.
- Totem Pole – Caves and Tunnels, Mountains and Stairs – beach pop for the fall. if Florida had a Midwest September this is what it would sound like.
- The Townhouses – Snowtown – glistening bells and underwater clicks persist as the vocals bounce off imaginary walls.
- Com Truise – Pyragony/Tripya – synth-funk to take you back 25 years, again.
- Blackbird Blackbird – Rarities EP– collection of b-side chillwave tunes and a nice Star Slinger remix.
- Yellow Ostrich – The Serious Kids EP – catchy folkish computer pop.
- Yellow Ostrich – The Morgan Freeman EP – lo-fi folk-pop, glitchy with some primitive beats.
- Neon Canyon – self title ep – slow moving drone pop (look for mediafire link).
- Change Leopardon – Juchitán – hazy electronic shoegaze with a touch of drone.
- COOLRUNNINGS – Buffalo EP – post-rad outta Knoxville. garage band moves to the driveway.
- Heart Music Group – <3 – 6 unreleased songs from Teen Daze, GOBBLE GOBBLE, Baths, Blackbird Blackbird.
- GOBBLE GOBBLE - Neon Graveyard 12” LP – experimental party music.
- Mellows - It’s In The Stones/Ghostriding 7” – 8-bit acoustic out of Ann Arbor.
- DannielRadall – La Femme” EP – lo-fi disco soundtrack to a winding down summer.
- Fol Chen – The Holograms EP – indie pop with a few synth heavy remixes.
- MICKEY BROWN – Vision Quest – slow churning tropical droplets of music brimming with deep bass, glistening plucked guitar and hundreds of little samples.
- Violens – Summer Mix – summer mixtape featuring various originals + reworked chillwave.
- Synthetic Romance – a collection of modern and futuristic music from 1982.
- Old Arc – Old Arc EP – electronic psyche space funk.
- Monster Rally – Color Sky 7″ – tropical laid back beats. hip elevator music.
- seabright – Shimmer – warm synthesized psych pop. pretty chill.
- The Stuyvesants present Brooklyn’s Finest – super chill heavily 70′s sampled hip-hop.
- devonwho – Thumbtracks Remixes Vol 1 – super smooth beats.. love music.
- J Fuse – Tigers everywhere, man – chopped chill samples making hip-hopish beats that sound like they were created using toys.
- Thallus – between head and hand – laid back sample based hip-hop.
- TAKE – The Getaway Mix – sonically diverse spin on modern bass music.
- The Gaslamp Killers – How it all started – a year old now but still sonically relevant.
- Central Services (Camu Tao and EL-P) – Forever Frozen In Television Time – newly free hip-hop from ’05.
- Monroeville Music Center – Generic Product – quick musical collages featuring Organ, Electric Piano, Drums, Synthesizer & more!
- Nicolas Jaar – 6 edits (Wolf + Lamb) – house reworks of New Order, The Grateful Dead and Nina Simone.
- Maayan Nidam – Global Warming (Wolf + Lamb) – Maayan Nidam warms us all once again with a special mix from one of dance music’s most unique record collections.
- All These Fingers – Westphall Universe – fuzzy synthetic electronic with nod to hip-hop.
- Dent May – Pickwick Lake Mix – 70s & 80s soul mashed into a party mix.
- Ghostly Essentials: Rarities One – rare, unreleased, and hard-to-find ghostly goods. not anymore.
- Vangel – In My Rumination – takes you everywhere and back, weaving the likes of DJ Shadow, Four Tet, El-P, Prefuse, Caribou, Battles, Koushik, Thom Yorke.
- Coyote Clean Up – TRIXYSMIXXX for No Conclusions – from minimal techno and ambient to dubstep and soul, with a touch of indie rock and drone.
- Faux Pas – Emotions mixtape – a year old but still in the rotation. its about emotions.
- Faux Pas – WATERFALLS EP – electronic pop jams.
- Sarin Sunday – The Lonely Hike – thriving in the realm of nostalgic library music. another Com Truise alias. very Boards of Canada.
- Bon Accord – Honeydew EP – almost ambient dream pop. you may fall asleep.
- Yellow Ostrich – Fade Caves EP – a hymnal collection of looped harmonies.
- Guilty Ghosts – The Everlasting Evening – sad droning pop-tinged ambient rock.
- Ricky Eat Acid – HUGS – ambient glo-fi, sweet dreams.
- Glass Vaults – Glass EP – ambient that builds into a slightly pop beat.
- slandercat – Blood of a Broom Tree EP – ambient rock with a touch of glitching electronics.
- BEKO – Digital Single Label – release a digital single every Monday. pretty eclectic but worth a browse once in a while.
- Free Music Archive – interactive library of high-quality, legal audio downloads. so much music I didn’t know where to begin.
Special thanks to bloggers keeping free music discovery alive: smokeDON’Tsmoke, No Modest Bear, Life: Aquatic, Dead as Digital, yvynyl, Head Underwater, Unholy Rhythms, All Everyone United, Friends With Both Arms, boy attractions, Stadiums and Shrines.
No comments yet,
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010