As summer rolls along thankfully the free music does too. Befitting the weather outside, this month’s collection is still heavy on the looped lo-fi and synth tunes, but still has plenty of beats to satisfy those not headed to the beach for the weekend. I’m sure as the days get shorter we’ll see a drop off in the tropical bedroom jams but until then download a few, head outside and enjoy the soundtrack to sunshine.
I’d be remiss not to thank smokeDON’Tsmoke, No Modest Bear and Life:Aquatic for doing the dirty work of digging a lot of these up. They continually expose me to new artists.. I highly recommend checking them out.
I realize a library like this can be a bit overwhelming so if you need new music daily follow me on twitter @thinkorsmile. I post links there as they are discovered. Like me on Facebook if your not into twitter.
Make sure to check out my mixtapes which pull a lot from the free music found here. You can have a listen to the latest mix on the Soundcloud player in the upper right while your exploring. Enjoy!
Think or Smile | Free Music Collection: August 2010
SYNTH POP, CHILLWAVE & LO-FI BEACH JAMS:
- unouomedude – Marsh EP – lo-fi summertime pop.
- Monster Rally – Palm Reader – tropical surf pop.
- Wise Blood – ‘+’ – lo-fi drones of familiar sounding beats.
- Beat Connection – Surf Noir EP – sunny and hard hitting, waved out and tropical.
- Evenings – North Dorm EP– loopy glo-fi – the sound of an end to a long day.
- PEPEPIANO – Trash Castles EP – catchy psych pop.
- The Fruhstucks – Parade, I Don’t Care EP– experimental indiepop outta Spain. kinda chill yet kinda bouncy.
- Com Truise – Komputer Cast Vol. 1 | Vol.2 | current – more synth disco electro 80′s soundtracks.
- Kumon Plaza – Cliff – slowly moving 8-bit synth poptronic.
- AMDISCS mixtape – fuzzy electronic synthpop.
- Dream Boat – Fevers EP – heavy drone pop on repeat.
- Jaded Hipster Chior – Sticks EP – looped dreamy spacepop.
- Sumsun – Super Spacey Sunburnt Summer – title says it all.
- Kassette Klub – No Mundo sa Lua – late 60’s and early 70’s psychedelic music from North and South America.
- Dead as Digital – We Get By W/A Little Help – blogger compiled mixtape of recent lo-fi.
- Brian Gossett (since78) - Sun Fiesta– for a pool party.
- Brian Gossett (since78) - Black Water– summer and the lifestyle of living in a beach town.
- smokeDON’Tsmoke – Let’s get Together – summer tunes mixtape.
BEATS, HIP-HOP & MORE BEATS:
This section goes out to Mary Anne Hobbs for exposing the world to the beat scene.. your BBC show will be missed.
- TAKE – You Are I AM We Be – left fleld experimental, 80’s soul, and hard crunchy beats.
- DJ Kutmah – Throwing Stones (Stones Throw Podcast 61) – gritty hip-hop mixtape that’ll have your head noddin for 50 min.
- J Dilla – Donut Shop – it’s dilla, need I say more.
- Space Ghost – Ghostly EP & Wallflower EP (follow mediafire links under Influences) – beats in an atmosphere of chill.
- Dirty Science – Exile Radio Remixes – dirty hip-hop beats remixed.
- ProF – The Door – Lost World– turntable made off beat instrumental and vocal hip-hop.
- Greymatter – Mind over Matter – glitchy spaced dubstep hip-hop.
- Big Boi Mixtape for Dummies – early cuts with OutKast to a few songs he contributed guest verses to, all mixed together for your next bbq.
- Freddie Gibbs – Str8 Killa No Filla mixtape – midwest hip-hop.
- Dam-Funk – The Future of Modern Funk – funky electronic beats, did I say funky?
ELECTRONIC & ECLECTIC:
- Various Assets – Not For Sale: Red Bull Music Academy London 2010 – a once-in-a-lifetime set of musical circumstances: collaborations between people who’d never met.
- Faux Pas - Vanderbilt EP – chopped up, dreamy future pop.
- Ra Cailum – Leaving EP – glitchy loops build to create oddly poppy soundscapes.
- Diplo – Chasing the Dragon (mix for pomp&clout) – 60′s rock psychedelia.
- Nonprojects | A Mix by Asura & Anenon (for Kitsune Noir) – West African and Caribbean polyrythms, vocal free jazz, endless electronics & filth.
- Niederflur – Kompakt Exclusive Mix – classic and new minimal techno.
- Magda – RA Podcast 215 (limited time) – old post-punk/disco/electro.
- Oval – Ringtone EP – electro-acoustic riffing full of angular, colliding guitar sounds.
AMBIENT & CHILL OUT:
- Shigeto – What We Held On To EP – a dollop of blown-speaker low end with a few elegantly disheveled vocal samples and liberal use of piano.
- Foxes in Fiction - Swung from The Branches – breathy and ethereal.
- Holy Spirits – The Afternoon Blood – floating and even lofty baroque pop.
- Wishyunu – A Day No How – pretty chill even for dream pop.
- Summer Mix Series 2010 – piles and piles of summer mixtapes, seriously, piles – good luck.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010