Here it is.. the 2nd edition to the Free Music Collection, a library of all the free albums, mixtapes & eps that I’ve downloaded over the past month. Last week was the summer solstice so this collection is jam packed with sun crisped beach tunes mixed with synth drenched lo-fi.. shit to BBQ to or night cruising with the top down. Huge props to smokeDON’Tsmoke for digging these up. No music library would be complete without some tasty beats or electronic soul so make sure you grab the Dilla tribute mix and some retro-futuristic space funk.
I realized that the last collection was a bit overwhelming to navigate through so I’ve included fragmented descriptions of each links this time around. Let me know if this is helpful. I’d recommend bookmarking this so you can spread out the downloads.. there’s more than enough for a new album a day.. better for the soul than an apple. As usual if you need to be in the loop more than once a month follow me on twitter @thinkorsmile for links as they are found. Or like me on Facebook if your not into twitter.
Make sure to check out my mixtapes while your here or have a listen to the latest mix on the Soundcloud player in the upper right while your exploring. Enjoy!
Think or Smile | Free Music Collection: July 2010
SYNTH-POP, CHILLWAVE & LO-FI BEACH JAMS:
- Com Truise – Cyanide Sisters EP – droned out synths & beats. the soundtrack to your life in the 80′s.. if you were awesome.
- Monster Rally – EP – california beach love.
- kissed her little sister – HIGHandLOW – drug laced folk pop from Santa Monica.
- PEARS – Sterling Postures – short, chilled out, sun crisped, African tunes.
- COOLRUNNINGS – BABES FOREVER EP – post-rad (whatever that is) with the best (nsfw) album cover ever.
- Blackbird Blackbird – Let’s move on together EP – music for driving home from a beach bonfire at 3am.
- Com Truise – Komputer Cast – vintage synth-funk for the modern nostalgic individual.
- the road goes ever on – Small Summits – chillwave with some beach synth.
- Phillip Oskar Augustine – Unknown Patterns – chilled surf jams with cleaver song writing.
- Prizes – Prizes Mixtape Vol. 1 – fall asleep on a park bench.
- Datahowler – Estate/Black Swan Single – two track ep for dreaming.
- Teams – Catch Pool EP – one drifting, sometimes bouncy dream.
- Arch M – Land Huxt – hazy, languorous tropical-psych that makes a perfect score for summer afternoon daydreams.
- unouomedude – Collections Vol. 1 – raw demo LP of the learning process.
- Them Summers: A City|City mixtape Vol. 1 – to be listened to loud and preferably somewhere sun-soaked.
- Golden Ages – Africa – 3 track ep of blown out beach pop, seriously, its blown out.
- Mickey Mickey Rourke – MMR – half-lucid state of consciousness, somewhere in between dreaming and tripping balls.
- Flamgirl mixtape – Summer Burn 2010 – bunch of obscure beach finds.
HIP-HOP, BEATS & BOOTY SHAKERS:
- Jeremiah Jae – Eating Donuts and Other Refined Foods Mixtape – 17 tracks that will make you phat. J Dilla Rest In Peace.
- SHLOHMO – Guest mix for BTS Radio – balancing between slow motion ambiance and aggressive bass hits.
- Star Slinger – Volume 1 – sampling everything from child-fronted reggae to soul to 80′s rock.
- The Blessings – Mix for BRAINFEEDER – beats.
- TEEBS – XLR8R podcast – stuffed with hazy, blunted beats.
- Bryan Lee – Poppin’ Bangin’ Slangin’ Dayum – straight up booty shaker.
- Gucci Mane – Mr. Zone 6 – mixtape fresh outta prison.
ELECTRONIC, ECLECTIC & MIXES:
- Nicolas Jaar – RA.211 podcast – eclectic hip/hop latin soul (up for a limited time).
- The Samps – Windows ’69 Edition (On TV) – 30 minute collage of spaced-out retro-futuristic funk.
- Moodgadget presents: There will always be echoes – collection of remixes that weren’t really out there.
- Javelin – Bobby McFerrin Superhighway – samples taken from hip hop, reggae, dub and pop.
- Suzushu – Chlorine-Free (June 2010 mixtape) – shoegaze, drone, glo-fi & witch house.
- Dusty Brown – This city is killing me EP – beat-centric clash between raw ambient-electronic and synth-driven indie rock.
- Midnight Rockers Express – I found the sound – gateway between funk, punk, indie and even a dab of drum and bass.
AMBIENT & CHILL OUT:
- Audience – Opposite or Inverse/Eight System – morphing glitchy guitar loops.
- Pandit – Pandit – soft and echoing guitar samples.
- Loscil – Live from Mutek 2004 – soundscape accented with glitch drips.
- Trans-Bedroom Sound – Elmwood – short and sweet ambient passages.
- Emay – Emay, Karen O, and the Kids – airy chilled psuedo hip-hop electronic. but mostly airy and chilled.
- low light mixes – beneath the surface – ambient mix with an old 70′s undersea soundtrack feel.
Share your thoughts
Think or Smile | Nathaniel Whitcomb © 2010